Meet Graham Zimmerman.
Graham is an award-winning professional climber and well recognized film maker in the outdoor industry. He works as a producer and the director of development with Bedrock Film Works through which he his able to utilize his extensive logistics, rigging, marketing and media expertise while maintaining his role as an athlete in the outdoor industry.
He specializes in complex logistics having run over 30 expeditions and assignments to many parts of the world including Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan, Alaska, Argentina, Eritrea and Kenya. For his climbing exploits Graham won the 2010 New Zealand Alpinist of the Year and was a finalist for the 2014 Piolet d’Or (alpine climbing’s equivalent to an Olympic gold medal) and won the 2017 Cutting Edge Award from the American Alpine Club
Born in New Zealand raised in the Northwest. After being exposed to alpine terrain in the Cascades he moved back to NZ where he cut his teeth in the Southern Alps and became a strong part of the Kiwi climbing community. Then, after graduating from university in 2007 he moved back to the states and has been focused on climbing as it applies to alpinism ever since. This has taken him on expeditions from Alaska to Patagonia to Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan and all over the lower 48 and Canada where he has established numerous new routes on rock, ice and snow.
SELECT CLIMBING RESUME:
- 2016 Cutting Edge Award for Excellent in Alpine Climbing (USA)
- 2014 Finalist, Piolet d’Or (France)
- 2010 NZ Mountaineer of the Year (New Zealand)
- FA West Face Direct of Celeno Peak (13,395 feet), St. Elias, AK (M6 5.10 X A2+ 95 degrees, 6,000 feet)
- FA Southwest Ridge of K6 West (7040m), Pakistani Karakoram, August 2015 (M6, 90degrees, 1800m)
- FA Changi Tower (6500m) via the North Ridge, Pakistani Karakoram, August 2015 (M6, 5.10 A2, 600m)
- FA West Face of Titanic Peak, Revelations Range, Alaska, May 2014 (V, M6, 5.8, 50 degrees, 4,000’)
- FA Bossanova, Aguja Guillaumet, Argentine Patagonia, December 2013 (IV 5.11+, A2, 1,200’)
- FA East Buttress of The Angel, Revelations Range, Alaska, July 2013 (V, 5.10, 50 degrees, 3,700’)
- FA East Face of Mt Laurens, Lacuna Glacier, Alaska, May 2013 (V, M7, WI4, A1, 4,700’)
- FA Vitalogy, SW Buttress of Mt Bradley, Ruth Gorge, Alaska, April 2010 (V, WI5, M6+, 5.9, A1 4,600’)
- FA Central North Buttress, Kyzyl-Muz (5100m), Pamir Alai, Kyrgyzstan, July 2008 (V, 5.10, AI3, 5,600’)
- 'Nosferatu', Vampire Peak, Southern Alps, New Zealand, November 2007 (NZgr 6, WI5+, 2,450’), 3rd Ascent
- Multiple 1 day ascents of El Capitan and other major walls in Yosemite Valley as well as many in Zion, UT and Washington State
- Numerous other FAs and FFAs in Alaska, WA state, Colorado, Montana, British Columbia, Patagonia and New Zealand
- Ascents of 5.12, M9, WI6+ and A3+
- Active member of the American, New Zealand and British Alpine Clubs
- Recipient of many grants including the Lyman Spitzer Cutting Edge Award, Mugs Stump Award, Copp-Dash Inspire Award, NZAC Expedition Fund and The Mount Everest Foundation Expedition Fund.
Graham works as a content creator, namely as a film producer and the director of development with Bedrock Film Works (a selection of his film work can be found here) Additionally has written for Alpinist Magazine, The Climber, Crux Magazine, Desnivel, The New Zealand Alpine Journal and the American Alpine Journal, had photographs featured in a number of publications and marketing campaigns and created short form audio content for National Geographic.